Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Artisian Peasant Bread

Zac's mom, Sue, made this great bread one night when we were over there, and after she told me how easy it was the obsession started...so far, Mom and I have caught it!

YOU WILL NEED:

A large container with a lid that can be put in the refridgerator. Mom found these large Sterilite bowls at Target.


A stone and wooden paddle/upside-down cookie sheet. (Sue bought me the Harry & David "My Pizzeria" two piece baking set somewhere...Sam's Club maybe...I'll post a comment when I know!)


In the large container, combine:

1 1/2 T Yeast
1 1/2 T Kosher Salt
3 cups Water (lukewarm...around 100 degrees)
6 1/2 cups All Purpose Flour

Stir until no dry flour remains.
Cover with towel and let rise for 2 hours.
Refridgerate.
Dough will make 4 loaves.


When you decide to make a loaf, sprinkle a generous amount of Corn Meal on your wooden paddle/upside-down cookie sheet.


Cut off a grapefruit-sized chunk of dough.


Stretch the dough and tuck the edges under, forming a mushroom cap-like loaf.
Let the dough rise for at least 1 1/2 hours.


With the stone in the oven, pre-heat to 450 degrees for 20+ minutes. You will also need a oven-safe dish under the stone.


Sprinkle flour on the top of your dough and score (I used five 1/4" deep slashes.)


Put 1 cup of Hot Water into the dish below the stone just before placing your dough on the stone.
Bake at 450 degrees for 30 minutes.

ENJOY YOUR TASTY BREAD!

4 comments:

The Fyllings said...

Morgan & I are very impressed!!

Kay Borowski said...

Looks great. I can hardly wait to taste it! Thanks for the recipe.

Pat said...

Wow, you did a great job of showing how you make the bread...will we have some when we come to Fergus? You know me and baking!

Auntie said...

That looks DELICIOUS!! Wish I lived closer so you could invite me over for a piece!
:-)